Breastfeeding conferences are my happy place, and my happy face is available to speak at your upcoming breastfeeding- or parenting-related event. I bring up-to-date information, clear PowerPoint presentations, and a sense of humor.
Topics with CERPs currently available
Postpartum mental health and breastfeeding: It’s complicated (1.0 L-CERPs)
- Identify three risk factors for suboptimal breastfeeding.
- Discuss the interaction between breastfeeding and PMADs.
- Explain how weaning affects hormone levels.
- Identify medications for PMADs that are generally recognized as safe for use during breastfeeding.
- Describe coping strategies for PMADs that support a patient’s breastfeeding goals.
Tweets and teats: Social media for breastfeeding pros and peers (1.0 L-CERPs)
- Name three popular social media platforms used by lactation professionals and the types of content usually shared on each.
- Explain the difference between a Facebook timeline, page, and group.
- List two ways to ensure you share an image legally.
- List two ethical concerns for a lactation professional or peer supporter when providing information and support to families using social media.
Tricky little babies: Breastfeeding management of late-preterm infants (1.0 L-CERPs)
- Define the gestational age ranges ford “late preterm” and “early term” infants.
- Explain why late-preterm infants are at a greater risk for jaundice.
- Describe common feeding behaviors of late-preterm infants.
- Outline a feeding plan for a late-preterm infant who is not transferring milk well at the breast.
Trends and challenges of drug use and abuse during pregnancy and breastfeeding (1.0 L-CERPs)
- Describe the difference between methadone and suboxone.
- Explain the potential effects of marijuana transferred into breastmilk for an infant.
- Discuss criteria that may determine whether or not a parent who has abused drugs may be supported in breastfeeding an infant.
- Identify resources for determining the potential risks of drugs in breastmilk.
What lactation professionals need to know about the WHO Code (1.0 E-CERPs)
- Explain the goal of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
- List the products covered by the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes.
- Describe a scenario where a product would be considered “Code compliant” and one that would be considered “non-compliant.”
- Describe the impact of free formula samples on breastfeeding duration.
Topics with CERPs pending
Galactagogues: The good, the bad, and the often unnecessary (1.0 L-CERPs)
- List three popular herbal and non-herbal galactagogues.
- Name three factors that can be modified to increase milk supply.
- Describe the possible side effects of fenugreek.
- Name two conditions where using galactagogues may be appropriate.
Breastfeeding multiples: Inspiration, hurdles, and practical tips
Bonding beyond the breast: Attachment and bonding for parents and partners
Topics with CERPs unavailable but eligible for nursing CEUs
Meet them where they’re at: Supporting pumping and bottle-feeding
- Explain the differences between closed-system, open-system, hospital-grade, and rental pumps.
- Outline the steps of paced bottlefeeding and describe why paced bottlefeeding can benefit breastfed and bottlefed babies.
- Explain flow preference and how to overcome it in a breastfed baby.
- Describe the World Health Organization’s instructions for safe formula preparation.
Looking for a specific topic? I can develop content to meet your needs.
Existing presentations may also be shortened or lengthened to fit your timing and topic depth.
Past speaking engagements include:
- CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) Breastfeeding Coalition conference (full day of education provided), October 2017
- Georgia State WIC Breastfeeding Pre-Conference, August 2016
- NAMI Minnesota Beyond the Baby Blues conference, May 2016
- La Leche League of Minnesota and the Dakotas annual conference (2014, 2015, and 2016)
- Twin Cities Birth & Baby Expo (2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016)
- Minnesota State WIC peer counselor workshop, June 2013